Thursday, October 18, 2007

Information Changes Everything

I have always agreed with the death sentence, I figured that the pediphiles and rapists, the murderers and psychopaths should be killed. I always thought that it was too easy for them in prisons, and that we had to pay more to keep them in there than it was to kill the suckers. After last class I was dumbfounded by the statistics and informations that was brand new to me. That it is cheaper to keep the prisoners in prison than to kill them. I know that the system is absolutely flawed in the sense that innocent men and women are put in jail and killed, but the men and women who are guilty and are "rehibilitated" then sent back into the world and do the same disgusting things are ridiculous. You can't judge which is better, innocence being wrongfully accused, or letting the guilty go free to corrupt the world even more. Neither should be happening. But there is no way of knowing the truth, is there? Nothing can be proven without doubt, unless the enrtire act is taped, and even then, perhaps it is not 100% certain. All evidence can be corrupted. So where does that leave us? Torture is not a means to get anything done. Honestly if I was tortured because I was thought to have done something, I would admit it, just to escape the torture part. It is not reliable at all. But I think that it has to be an option in the most extreme cases. But then again it doesn't make much sense either. I am torn, I would want to use any means possible in order to save an innocent but torturing another innocent is not the way to get there. Is there even an answer?

1 comment:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Some wildly unrealistic scenarios may have no solutions; but that need not deter us in our (more important) search for solutions to real-world problems.