Thursday, October 4, 2007

All Dogs Go to Heaven

I have a science class and we went out to find wood turtles. We found one and I hated it when everyone was passing him around, prodding and poking him. I felt awful. Today we went looking for spotted salamanders and didn't find any. But we did find worms and centipedes, misquitos and caterpillars. The thing is that I cared most about making sure the caterpillar was safe. I could have cared less about the others. The caterpillar doesn't reflect humans in any way, it was not cute and I could not see any intelligence in its eyes. So why did I care about it more than say the worm?
I wonder why people think that we are protecting creatures by trapping them in zoos or searching them out in the wilderness. Why can't everyone just let everyone be. I guess that is my take on religion and beliefs as well. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, what is the big issue?
Animals can make decisions, they can think as far as consequences go (as they have been trained) but the reason we do not put a cat or rabbit on the witness stand is because they don't understand good versus bad, no matter how many times we say "Awww, you are such a good puppy!" If a person believed in souls, would they consider animals to have souls as well. Since they have morals I wonder if it goes hand in hand. Or it is all different? What would be the corralation between animals, humans, and souls if humans can reflect on their choices but animals can't? Is it possible that because of this reason all dogs really do go to heaven???

No comments: