Sunday, November 25, 2007

Working it out

Work defines a large part of who I am. So, to me, it just makes sense that what I put into my work, the final product, will be a part of who I am and that will be shown through a material object. I do not agree with the idea from Marx that work alienates its workers. Instead I believe that workers are competetive. But it is in no way a bad or negative attribute. Competition forces humans to use their minds and to create new and better technologies in order to make people's lives better and more effiencient. I know that many people complain about their jobs, I do, but for the most part they do not know where they would be without the job that they hold. Partly because people need to know that they are needed and capable of doing a good job at something. This is not just miners or desk jobs, but also housewives, stay at home moms, and children. Everyone wants to know that they are doing something well and by getting this kind of appreciation they are more apt to do better/more.

1 comment:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Competition and alienation are not mutually exclusive properties of the workplace. Also, competition is, in my view, often a by-product of some forms of cooperation.