Thursday, September 20, 2007

Determinism ruling, scary thought

Alright I believe that determinism is the main factor in our daily lives, but I still do not believe that it can determine everything. I do not think that free will is every completely free although it may seem like it is if not looked at carefully. But I do not think that all of our choices have been "determined" and who we end up being, that I believe is of our own choosing and own choices. My will to do something does not have to be determined and a person can tell me that no matter what happens that that was determined to happen "meant to be" but I don't believe it. If I believed in that then I would have to believe in soul mates, which I think is ridiculous. So, why can't there be both "free" choice although impacted through our environment, and some sense of determinism in the world at the same time? I think that they both co-exist. I understand that determinism does not mean to predict. But if you can blame your actions on determinism, what is the point in making the "right" choices? Is there such a thing as a right choice...or even a choice at all, if determinism completely rules the world?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

An individual may believe that he/she is freely choosing to behave in a certain way in a given situation; however, his/her past behavior in relation to the antecedents and consequences of that behavior determine how he/she behave in similar situations in the future. Thus, environment events and societal, cultural, and familial factors always affect our behavior.